2.14.2018

Valentines Day - Year Seven.

It's Valentines Day, so of course I'm reflecting back on past celebrations with Shane.

I thought I'd skip the Valentines day of 1998 when I purchased my then "boyfriend" a stuffed animal and shoved it in his locker instead of talking to him that day.

So romantic!


Our first year of marriage I went all out with my grand ideas. I stayed up until midnight the night before, cutting felt hearts to string together across the windows of our cozy home. I made a little mailbox, glued a 'B' made out of yarn and painted it yellow. 

The happiest color.

My thought was that Shane and I could write out little letters to each other all year long, raising the little red flag to let the other person know there were kind words waiting to be read after a long day at jobs neither of us liked.

Guess what never happened?

I can smile thinking about it now, but the year that followed was full of disappointment. Even when I would place that darn mailbox in places I knew he would see - the little red flag was never raised. And as a dramatic newlywed, I equated his love for me to that darn mailbox.

What I didn't realize back then, and still struggle remembering today, is that I don't always love him the way he wants to be loved either.

Isn't that typical though? It's more common for you to nag on someone else instead of owning up to partial responsibility.

You will rarely see me sitting out in the shed with Shane as he works on equipment, even though I know he feels most loved in that scenario. Or riding the dirt bike. Or handing him tools when he works.

We were having a mini date after our tax appointment when I was overwhelmed with gratefulness that our marriage reflects differently today than it did 7 years ago. It looks a lot more like showing up with grace, patience, forgiveness and love in the smallest of ways.

And for that, I'm thankful.

But also I asked for a new handheld vacuum and if he doesn't get it for me then we're back to square 1.

Kidding. Kind of.

No really, I'm kidding.

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY.

p.s. Proof that I used to blog a lot and also proof that I used to be crafty --> click HERE.




No comments: